Tuesday 12 August 2014

Kirkharle, home of Lancelot " Capability" Brown and John Speight

A courtyard of galleries and workshops in rural Northumberland NE19 2PE
18 miles north of Newcastle on the A696 - look out for the sign exactly opposite the sign for Wallington

If you want to buy some really special presents, go to Kirkharle.

After our windy walk at Northumberlandia, Himself and I were desperate for a cup of something hot.  The boy was keen as mustard to get up to his favourite tree in Wallington but we kind of inveigled him into letting us have our drinks and then we would go so...

 Driving north on the A696 has that special "climbing" feel, which makes you feel like you are crawling on the top of the world and you can see for miles. I must admit, it is a bit of a drive but you do have at least 2 fantastic places to visit and you could always do Belsay and/ or the Blacksmith's Coffee shop, if you have all day. Bolam Lake isn't far away either so if you want a quiet walk and to feed the swans, then that's possible too.



Kirkharle has an awful lot going for it: a brilliant children's play park with the best, little fort with slide that I WANT; galleries for art; jewellery for sale; handcrafted gifts  (I really like the foxy doorstop); cabinetry and antiques; a warm and welcoming little tea shop with fantastic scones AND, best of all, real artists.

I met one. 

John Speight is a third generation papercut artist, who uses his scalpel on black paper to create the most exquisite and intricate scenes, my favourite being tree forms. Desirable or what!



I assumed, wrongly, that they had to be laser-cut but no! He cuts far finer than a laser can. After 30 years, he stays true to his handcrafting and original art ethos. A second breath-taking discovery in one day ( following our walk around Northumberlandia) made me feel quite energised. How often do we really meet with experts with the "wow" factor?

His website is      www.johnspeight.co.uk

His papercuts celebrate people's loves, their favourite hobbies ( you should see the drummer), favourite animals and begin at £19, I believe.  However, they do go up in price as the work becomes even more detailed.    I simply could not understand how anyone could cut so accurately at that tiny scale.    He does cards too.  I bought two for £2.50 each.  Lovely.

His shop is beautiful too and I loved the "chakra"jewellery made from semi precious stones and the sea-glass-style bracelets too.

I know we will be back fairly soon.  I want Himself to know what I was jabbering about and there is plenty still to see, not least the exhibition on his nibs, old Capability, who grew up here and who walked to school at Cambo.

I tell you, Northumberland has it all!









No comments:

Post a Comment