Tuesday 22 July 2014

P. Lomas- plant nursery - good value

what: plant nursery 
where: the back road up from Ponteland towards The Milkhope Centre
Why: cheap as chips and much more cheerful. PLUS it's man-friendly

Every year at around this time I visit P.Lomas'  nursery because I crave colour in my shady, green garden ...and dread the hefty price tag of the big garden centres.  This time Himself was with me and, because it is not a huge affair with thousands of plants to see, he coped with it rather well.

So, the attraction for me? A one man show with, yes, a limited range of annuals but with luscious colours that you can easily choose from. It's really just like a sweet shop for plantaholics.

This year, 4 geraniums ( sorry, ordinary pelargoniums) for £1,  4 fat-budded exotic begonias for £2, 8 of those French marigolds in jewel colours for £1.  How does he do it? Honestly, I don't know but I guess plenty of water and plenty of plant food. My own seedlings are nowhere near as fat and hardy looking.

They're now planted up and I feel deeply satiated - see how the colour-craving gets me?  I know I was looking for violas to bob prettily in my terracotta pots, looking like fairy princesses and instead I have great big fat gypsy wedding flowers ( you should just see the wide skirts on the fuchsia - £2!!!) but I feel grrrrrrrreat!

Next year I'll do the dainty violas ( or if I can find some this summer) but I'll have to find some more pots because they're ALL filled and, as Himself said, for pennies!

No comments:

Post a Comment